Skip to page body Home About The County Government Departments Services How Do I...
How do I access assessment information?
Click here to search property records.
Is the Property Search free?
Yes, the property search feature is free.
What do all the codes on real estate assessments mean?
Assessment software uses specific codes for different features of real property. Find a listing of codes and their descriptions here.
What is the difference between personal property and real estate?
Personal property consists of cars, trailers, motor homes, motorcycles, ATVs and livestock, etc. Real estate includes land, houses, modular/mobile homes and other fixed improvements to the land.
My house was just finished. Do I need to assess it or anything?
Once the house is discovered, it will be assessed automatically. Appraisers canvass the entire county every five years for reappraisal. However, new construction is added every year. If it is reported by the property owner we will conduct a field inspection to collect appraisal data. In municipal jurisdictions we follow up building permits with field inspections. It is a good idea to check your real estate assessment every year.
What is the Homestead Credit?

The Amendment 79 Homestead Credit was passed by majority vote of the people of Arkansas during the statewide General Election on November 7, 2000. The intention is to create property tax relief for homeowners in Arkansas.

The homestead credit:

  • Provides up to a $350 tax credit on property that is the owner’s primary place of residence.
  • Limits any increase in taxable value due to a reappraisal to 5% per year on the owner’s primary place of residence. Vacant and commercial property increases are limited to 10%.
  • Prevents the taxable value on an owner’s primary place of residence from ever increasing due to a reappraisal for homeowners who are 65 and older or who are disabled as defined by the Social Security Administration standards.

These provisions apply even if the property is titled in a revocable trust set up by the occupant or if the homeowner is staying in a nursing home.

To claim the credit, it is the homeowner's responsibility to notify the assessor in the county where his or her primary place of residence is located. Those who are 65 or older or disabled will need to provide a copy of their proof of age (driver's license or state ID) or their proof of disability to claim their special benefits.

My acreage is different than what is assessed, how can I correct this?
The best way to correct acreage is with a survey. Acreage corrections may require research.
I own two parcels of land. Is it possible to have my two parcels combined?
As a rule of thumb, the Assessor’s Office does not merge properties, but you may request for parcels to be combined. Decisions are made on a case by case basis.
How do I assess a modular/mobile home?
Although there are often no deeds filed for modular or mobile homes (MH), they are assessed as real estate, making them eligible for the Homestead Credit.
I have an old vehicle that isn’t driven or running, do I have to assess it?
If you own a vehicle and it does not run, or you are not tagging it, it is still assessable. To remove it from your assessment, you must sell, give away, or salvage the vehicle.
Do I assess old farm tractors and/or equipment?
Yes, all farm equipment is assessable even if you are not required to tag it; this includes 4-wheelers, old boats, homemade trailers, tractors, and tractor attachments.
May I add a vehicle over the phone?
Vehicles cannot be added by phone. In order to assess the vehicle we need a copy of the bill of sale or title with the description of the vehicle and VIN.
In my business I use my personal computer and desk. Do I have to assess them under my business name?
Yes, once any item is used for business it becomes assessable under the business name. Please go to Commercial Personal Property Assessments for more information.
When and how can I appeal my assessment?

Once a property is valued, the Assessor is not allowed by law to change the opinion of value. However, we can correct measurable errors, such as: square footage, age of a building, story height, etc.

Appeals of property values must be presented to the Board of Equalization. This board consists of representatives of the various taxing jurisdictions in the county. They go into session every year the first week of August and hear appeals normally through September or until all appeals have been considered.

Appointments for appeals are made through the County Clerk, starting around the middle of July. You may appeal property values every year whether any changes have been made to the property or not. The Assessor’s Office sends notices of changes in valuation of a property due to new construction every year by the first week of July. These notices include instructions to make an appeal of value. Notices of valuation changes from countywide reappraisals are sent every 5 years.

The process to appeal is straightforward. With the initial call, you receive an informal hearing with an appraiser. If there is no resolution, the next step is an appointment with the Board of Equalization. If this step does not solve the issue, the board’s decision may be appealed to county court and the decision will be considered by the County Judge. This determination may be appealed to Circuit Court, and finally, to the Arkansas Supreme Court.

Last updated: 8/23/2016 5:00:27 PM