Skip to page body Home About The County Government Departments Services How Do I...

NOTICE: The Washington County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center will be closed for annual maintenance the week of Monday, January 2, 2017 through Saturday, January 7, 2017. The building will reopen to the public on Monday, January 9, 2017.

Hazardous Waste building

The county maintains a special waste collection site for recycling tires, scrap metal, metal appliances, electronics, and household hazardous waste.

 Oil Recycling


Effective May 1, 2015, Washington County will be able to accept fluorescent bulbs from businesses.  A fee will be applied to cover the cost of bulb recycling and will apply to businesses and residents.  For more information, click here.

Effective May 18, 2015, the recycling fee for cathode ray tube TVs and computer monitors will increase to $10 cash or check only.  This increase is due to new fees being charged to Washington County.  Cathode ray tube items are the thick-bodied, heavy TVs and monitors.


Hours of Operation

Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

First Saturday of each month 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. 


Washington County Operations & Maintenance
2615 Brink Drive
Fayetteville, AR 72701



When you purchase new tires from a tire dealer, you are charged a $2.00 per tire disposal fee. The dealer must then take an equal number of scrap tires from you. This disposal fee funds the waste tire program throughout the state.

Tire dealers and citizens may bring scrap tires to any of the tire collection centers in our Solid Waste District. For citizens, four passengers tires are free. Additional tires, tires with rims, and large truck tires have a disposal fee. Passenger tires collected in our District are taken to a crumb rubber facility in Oklahoma where they are ground up and used as playground material. Truck tires are taken to a cement kiln in Tulsa and used as fuel. Large tires are sent to Little Rock where they are ground up for use in septic fields or playground materials.


 Tire Size   Price (cash or check only)
Passenger Tires  First four are free (without rims)
Additional Passenger Tires $2.00 each
Passenger Tires on Rim $4.00 each
Large Turck (Semi) Tires $5.00 each
LargeTruck Tires on Rim $10.00 each
Oversized Tires (>24.5 in. rim) $10.00 each
Oversized Tires on Rim $15.00 each


RefrigeratorScrap Metal And Appliances

Scrap metal such as copper, aluminum, and steel, is all accepted free of charge for recycling.

Appliances that contain Freon must have a tag stating that the Freon has been removed by a certified technician or a $10 charge is applied (cash or check only).

Unwanted cars, trucks, motorcycles, SUVs, RVs, and boats can be donated to Wheels For Wishes, benefiting Make-A-Wish Mid-South. Wheels for wishes will pick-up or tow away vehicles free of charge, anywhere in the county, regardless of condition. Vehicles will be recycled or auctioned off and 100% of the net proceeds benefit children in Arkansas, Northern Mississippi, and Western Tennessee. For more information, click here.


In Northwest Arkansas we are fortunate to have an electronics recycling program in place to meet the growing demand for disposal. Electronic devices are a common part of our lives, but many of them contain lead, mercury, or other heavy metals which have the potential to contaminate our soil and water if not properly handled. Most items come with a $5 charge to cover the cost of disposal (cash or check only). The following items are accepted:

  • Computers - includes keyboard, monitor, CPU, speakers, & mouse
  • Laptops
  • Modems
  • Routers
  • E-readers
  • TVs
  • VCRs
  • Printers
  • Copiers
  • Scanners
  • Microwaves
  • Home stereos (receiver unit only)
  • UPSs
  • Handheld devices such as PDAs and iPods
  • Media storage--CD's, DVD's, video tapes, floppy disks (free)
  • Cell phones (free)

For more information about reusing, donating, and recycling electronics, see the Electronics Reuse and Recycling section of the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality's website.

Special Waste

Where are hazardous items in your home?

Households contain many products which can be hazardous to the health of humans, animals, and the environment. Unused and leftover portions of these products are called household hazardous waste (HHW). HHW is accepted free of charge for recycling at our location on Brink Drive. Huntsville, Siloam Springs, Springdale, and Centerton also have collection centers.

Only residential quantities of most hazardous items are accepted. However, we accept fluorescent light bulbs and electronic waste from businesses.

For disposal of explosives, contact the Benton County Bomb Squad: (479) 271-7040

 Signal Words  Categories

Look for these words on a product label to determine if it is hazardous.

  • Caution
  • Warning
  • Danger
  • Poison

You might also find words that explain what the hazard is

  • Flammable
  • Corrosive/Caustic
  • Toxic/Poisonous
  • Reactive

Toxic Flammable

Hundreds of different household items can be hazardous. Consider these categories and examples of products when determining if something is of concern.

  • Automotive Fluids - motor oil, antifreeze, gasoline
  • Batteries - household, rechargeable, auto
  • Cleaning products - bleach, oven cleaning
  • Cooking grease & oil
  • Fluorescent lights - tubes, compact (CFLs)
  • Lawn and garden products - pesticides and fertilizers
  • Mercury items - thermometers, thermostats
  • Medical sharps
  • Paint - latex, oil based, spray paint
  • Pressurized containers - fuel canisters, helium containers, aerosol cans
  • Swimming pool chemicals

Questions about household hazardous waste, electronics, tires, or appliances? Ask Pete.

Last updated: 1/3/2017 8:10:34 AM